Name:
Location: Toronto

Try me.

27 November, 2006

Hrithik makes looking bad look really good...

... and Bips makes looking hot look really cool.

Moo-V talk - brought to you by Ms. V.

This week's release:

If you're looking for something to exercise your mind, Dhoom 2 is definitely not for you. But if you're looking to get your hormones real excited, go for it.

Hritik has something that no one else does. We've seen guys with well-built bodies, and we've seen guys with great dance moves. But ever seen a guy with fantastic muscles moving with such flexibility? Add to that a good-looking face and you have a man to die for.

Since Kaho Naa Pyaar Hai, I have been waiting for a chance to letch at him again, and so far, none of his other movies delivered. You can change my name if you're a chick and you're able to watch him rock the Dhoom Machale song without having drool trickle down your chin. Even my guy friends sitting next to me had their mouths open in awe.

The story is so-so if not predictable with some major flaws in the plot line (the biggest one for me being "why is only the Mumbai police force behind an international criminal?"). The movie does not have you "wowing" at the robberies unlike "The Italian Job", "The Thomas Crown Affair" or "Ocean's Eleven". But there is still enough in the movie to keep the adrenaline pumping.

For the ladies, there's Hritik for drop-dead gorgeous and there's Abhishek for rugged coolness. Uday Chopra does not do much for the hormones, but he provides much-appreciated comic relief. And for the men, there is Bipasha who is looking mindblowingly stunning. In one song, she's clad in an orange gown and all her sensuous moves turned ME on! Aishwarya does what she does best - looks really good and sucks at acting. Her first scene was so awkward, it was ridiculous. Ash can look hot but she cannot pull off looking cool. So, in my opinion, Bips with the lesser-character role, stole the show.

Nothing more to say about Dhoom 2 except one thing. Hritik, the superstar is back!

Last week's release:

Another movie I want to talk about a little is Vivah. I never really read any reviews but the titles to a lot of them conveyed the message - don't waste your money or time watching Vivah. I still went ahead to watch it. And I'm so glad I did.

Vivah was absolutely adorable. Though some scenes were very reminiscent of Hum Aapke Hain Kaun, since even Vivah had Alok Nath and Anupam Kher playing in-laws, Vivah came to me as a breath of fresh air. The story is very very predictable but that's not the point. The point is that even today, we still have a director who is willing to make a movie without a smooch scene, without having his female lead (or an item girl) almost naked, and without dhishum-dhishum of any sort.

Vivah will probably strike a chord amongst our parents' generation than ours. And I find that so sad. We expect our parents to change with the times. And yet we can't be open to what used to be part of our culture. Arranged marriages are becoming old-fashioned. A shy bride is becoming old-fashioned. A city boy marrying a village girl is becoming old-fashioned. Indian culture is becoming old-fashioned.

With all Bollywood movies becoming part of one huge glam-fest, I embrace the simplicity of films like Vivah with open arms.

(And people need to stop using the phrase "It's just another love story." Would you ever call your love story "just another"?)

Earlier this month:

A lot has been said about it, so I won't say too much. Shah Rukh Khan sucked as Don. I know it's unfair to compare this Don to the previous one, but I felt that the movie was almost insulting to the previous one. The biggest flaw of Don? Casting. SRK is not Don material. He may be a superstar, he may be King Khan (blech!) but he can never be Don. In fact, I think Abhishek would have made the perfect new Don and not just because he's Big B's son.

And is it just me or is there way too much of Boman Irani in Bollywood these days??? Get him off the damn screen!!! Seriously. What was Farhan thinking when he cast him to play the big villian in the movie? What a damper. One thing he did do right was give us Arjun Rampal - the actor. Behind the "I cannot describe in public the effect everything about him has on me" looks, body and voice, Rampal proved that he is taking his new profession seriously. I want MORE.

Earlier this year:

KANK. If you're not a Karan Johar fan, don't go watch this movie and crib about it. You know the kind of movies KJ is going to churn out, so why do you expect KANK to be something its not going to be? Ram Gopal Varma has his genre of movies. David Dhawan has his. And so does KJ. People just need to stop being stupid. I liked K2H2. I liked K3G. And so I liked KANK. As simple as that. (Though casting Rampal in a movie sure earns brownie points from me!)

Coming soon:

A movie I'm looking forward to is Kabul Express. I watched the promos and it's been a long time since a Bollywood movie gave me goosebumps. As I heard Arshad Warsi and John Abraham describe their experience shooting the movie, I was thinking "Man, these guys have balls!" The entire movie has been shot in Afghanistan, apparently the first movie ever to be fully shot there post-Taliban. They even said they actually witnessed live bombings. In one incident, John mentioned that they had been strictly warned to stick to one particular dirt-road and neither go slightly right or slightly left as there were land mines on both sides! All this in the name of movie-making? Very impressive to me. All that effort is well worth my money and more.





              
Creative Commons License