Name:
Location: Toronto

Try me.

29 August, 2006

Gaana bhajaana

I love music. All kinds of music. And I'm not just saying that because I don't have an opinion. Anyone who knows me knows I'm never short of opinions.

So, when I say all kinds of music, it of course includes Bollywood music too. I love Bollywood music. It's just plain whacky! I mean, where else will you find songs like "Isne bola kem che, kem che, kem che" and "Jab tak rahega samose mein aalu"!!!

But there are some songs and melodies that really play with my heart-strings. Dil ko choo lete hain.. bollywood ishtyle!

In the song "Dekho na" from Fanaa, there's a small little tune right before the singer starts singing. In fact, the song starts with 3 different instrumental tunes... I'm talking about the 3rd one. I just love it!!!! It has such a beautifully romantic feel to it. Just makes me sigh! A similar effect was had by the ending chorus of the song "Kuch tho hua hai" from Hum Tum. I would rewind and replay the ending over and over again.

And then sometimes, the effect is more because of the singer rather than the tune. "Bheege hont" is a perfect example. It's a great song, no doubt (and I'm really trying hard to resist cursing that bastard Malik for shamelessly copying every single note from the original Pakistani version!) but Kunal Ganjawala sounds AMAZING! After that song, I looked forward to hearing that magic in his voice again, but just didn't find it. Until now... "Sabse alag" from the movie "Alag" is Kunal at his best again. He has a ridiculously romantic voice!!!

But nothing beats old Hindi music when it comes to beautiful melodies and lyrics. Here's one from in memory of Hrishikesh Mukherjee from his movie, 'Anand'.

"Zindagi... kaisi yeh paheli haay
Kabhi yeh hasaaye, kabhi yeh rulaaye"





              
Creative Commons License